Fall Poem Page | By Etc. Writers

by - October 06, 2024

Illustration by Clarissa (@_.dumpling.gram._)

October, please be kind
By Saosan (@ona_ss_a)

Hi, it's me again, 
can you believe it's 23? I'm 23, 

I remember I fell in love in my glorious 20,
I'm still in love 
I try not to see his photographs
And when I don't, 
I love him even more.

I'm still in love 
I'm still there 
In 20 and a 20,

August, really slipped away like sipping wine, 
September, what will it bring to me?

I had clutched to the hope, 
desperate, adamant, that the other half of it will be different
here I am, as slow as a snail, slithering away, 
dragging my water, dragging my bag of bones, 
dragging my head with it 
oh so heavy, 
that head of hers,
dense and a ball of yarn and 
words written on scratched words, 
the paper underneath tearing away 
beneath all that weight of ink,

Will winter be kind to me?
No, I don't want to go in,
to 24,
24 hours is way too short,
for her neuroses, for the older daughter, 
for a girl about to cry.

God, oh god, I waste your name in vain, 
but are you even there?
I'm, after all, only a speck of dust, 
See me, value me, love me?
Begging all the way through, 
My spirit withering away like the burnt brick leaves, 

Paint me a picture, will you?
She's in a dress in maroon, a beret for the season, 
a scarf? Maybe, only for a statement, 
sweater weather still some miles away, 
an Auburn walkway, 
rusty, crusty, cracking leaves, 
the scent of fall? Can you sniff it? 
And she's falling away, 
not apart, 
in love, dipping marshmallows in hot chocolate,
and her mind? It's quiet, not uncomfortable, just quiet.



Last September
By Nuha Insyirah @nuhariooo

In my memories you are always autumn–
golden like when the sun goes down
winds like an airplane sweeping near in noon
leaves scattering like snowflakes in fall.

My first taste of you was autumn,
what a season, I’d thought,
when it’d been too warm for hot tea,
yet too cold for iced. 
When we’d walk the park pathways
watch the squirrels play tag,
look for large piles of swept leaves
to undo one’s futile work. 

Time flew in autumn’s way;
like a plane in the sky–
a crawl and yet a sprint. 
I look at the suitcases by my feet
years of my life packed up in a box
where’d the time go? 

Like autumn you come too late
and like it, I’m gone too soon
but like autumn I know;
that inevitably you will return to me
and I to you.



“Kindred Spirits”
By Caleb Ng Kah Lok @clnikl29

Orange is the colour of fallen leaves.
The colour of the sky as the sun dips across the horizon blue.
The colour of his scarf. You breathe.
Bright orange, he stands out as he reads over Sunset Avenue.
The seasons change. A leaf brushes across his face.
“Have we met?” The stranger across the avenue says.
“I’m sure we’ve not.”
They fall in line as they talk.
 
“Orange is just a phase,” he says. “Eventually, the skies turn blue, and the leaves become gold.”
“They say they change for the better,” yYou mention. “Or so I’m told.”
“Well,” he quips, “Nothing gold lasts forever.”
Pieces fall into place, in his mind. There’ is nothing that doesn’t make sense with him.
You laugh. “You’re sure?”
(In hindsight, a lot could have been said on a whim.)
 
The days grow shorter, and the nights grow longer.
He wants to become a lawyer.
Each fall, the exams pile in, and he struggles to keep up. “It’s hell.”
You want to be nothing at all. There’ is so much to be done, and so little time to do it, you say.
“Maybe so,” he mentions, picking at an orange leaf from the ground, fraying brown at the edges. “But we might as well.”
“The time will pass anyway.”
 
The leaves wither, and the grass fades into a shade of gold.
Even the strongest branches give way in time.
I don’t mind if you’re not by my side.
If I never see you again, maybe you’ll forget me, after all.



All things Autumn;
By Saosan (@ona_ss_a)

She pulled me into La Petite Maison 
Pouted and begged, "Let's please eat first!"
Her legs skipped steps and made mine jump
the spark in her eyes
the swing in my hands 

carrot cake - my very first time, 
I died and went to heaven,
The salt at the bottom of my caramel coffee 
like the salt in the ocean air,
frolicked all around me

on a cool dawn at the beach to watch the sunrise, 
the way I can feel the fresh coldness yet to be wintry 
on a school morning in October,
like I can smell the winter coming

Cinnamon eyes, liquid, translucent, with a bit of burnt orange in them
I never got to greet them again
but that day, my eyes met his thrice
in a tangerine dream
under a sky that was humming crisp little notes 
from the birds coming home

I wanted to dip my scarlet scarf in a cup of pumpkin spice latte and stain my dress 
and yell, "Look! I think I'm in love"

I let my hands twirl
let my mind dance
asked myself, 
if I really were a mirrorball in a rollerblading club
sad! Don't think of those wild melancholies!
But it reminds me of the orange juice box
bittersweet, 
like falling in love
like leaving school
like saying goodbye to your folks

I'm about to fly
and I feel this sickening sweetness at the bottom of my heart 
bittersweet.

I went back there again
they asked, "Where's your friend today?"
I said, "It's only me today"
and on the train back home  
I wondered if people could tell,

the silent cry in my eyes
the screeching screams in my cheeks
the rock stuck in my throat, 
how the misery comes undone on my face 
when I see people in love.



Seasonal depression
By Andy (@spookycoric)

The sun dips below the horizon of summer
and gives way to leaves of burnt sienna,
the dread of returning to school
seeps through skin like autumn’s chill.

The autumn sun is dimmer, cooler,
it slacks on its oath to mother nature.
The dread of being played as a fool
chills the air before snow brings cool.

The air bubbles with children’s laughter
and streets are swarmed in wrappers,
discarded like summer’s joy and warmth
but contrary to belief, never fully gone.

The hanging tree and lovers’ bridge
are spared not a look despite the itch -
hotlines begin to look understaffed
but you won’t ring if you can still laugh.

Call your brother, tell mama you love her.
They’ll give thanks for you as you do for others.
The lonely chill must rise before falling,
just as you must crawl before walking.


You May Also Like

0 comments